Understanding the reason for the coming of Christ is a vital first step in becoming acquainted with Him, which is what I hope to exhort and encourage you to do!
While listening to a broadcast from standupforthetruth.com, a program I occasionally listen to, I heard them list “20 Reasons Why Jesus Came” (from the Bible) at the end of their broadcast. So I felt compelled to share this list, along with a few scriptures that I have added. And, just as people’s minds are naturally on the birth of Christ during this time, I want to take advantage of the opportunity, not to heap condemnation upon themselves by remembering Christ during man’s Christmas holiday but not following Him, but to follow Christ according to the path He has declared. More-so, I want to exhort you to go beyond simple knowledge and know your Savior and the Father who has sent Him!
And, just as I have added a few things to this list, I’m sure you will also be able to add a few things to this list and share it with even more people.
So, here it is- reasons why Jesus came:
- “I have come as a light into the world, that whoever believes in Me should not abide in the darkness.” ~John 12:46
- “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.” ~John 6:38
- “Pilate therefore said to Him, ‘Are you a king then?’ Jesus answered, ‘You say rightly that I am a king. For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the Truth. Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.’” ~John 18:37
- “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, because He has anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed; to proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn, to console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called tress of righteousness, the planting of the LORD that He may be glorified.”~Isaiah 61:1-3 (cf Luke 4:18)
- “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.” ~Luke 4:43
- “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners, to repentance” ~Mark 2:17
- “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.” ~Matthew 5:17
- “But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive adoption as sons.” ~Galatians 4:4-5
- “God, having raised up His Servant Jesus, sent Him to bless you, in turning away everyone of you from your iniquities.” ~Acts 3:26
- “Today salvation has come to this house, because he also is a son of Abraham; for the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” ~Luke 19:9-10
- “This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.” ~1st Timothy 1:15
- “Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.” ~Matthew 20:28
- “In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.” ~1st John 4:10
- “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved. HE who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. And this is the condemnation that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come into the light, lest their deeds should be exposed. But he who does the truth comes into the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.” ~John 3:16-21
- “The thief does not come except to steal, kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” ~John 10:10
- “And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures. Then He said to them, ‘Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And you are witnesses of these things. ” ~Luke 24:45-48
- “The hour has come that the Son of Man should be glorified. Assuredly I say, unless a grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain. He who loves his life will lose it, and he who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. If anyone serves Me, let him follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also. IF anyone serves ME, him My father will honor. Now My soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save Me from this our’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. Father, glorify Your name” Then a voice came from heaven, saying, ‘I have both glorified it and will glorify it again.’” ~John 12:23-28
- “For judgment I have come into this world, that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may be made blind.” ~John 9:39
- “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, daughter against mother, daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law; and a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.” ~Matthew 10:34-36
- “He will sit as a refiner and a purifier of silver; He will purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer to the LORD an offering of righteousness.”~Malachi 3:3
- “Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for her, that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, that He might present her to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.” ~Ephesians 5:25-27
- “And behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to give to everyone according to his work. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End, the First and the Last.”~ Revelation 22:12-13
Surely the Lord has come in the fullness of times to fulfill the Law and Prophets, as a highway of holiness, to declare the Kingdom of God with repentance and forgiveness of sins made in His name according to the propitiation of sins through His sacrifice made upon the cross and resurrection to life by the power of the Holy Spirit so that He might present a holy and zealous people to God, a glorious Church unto Himself, not having spot or wrinkle, but being holy and without blemish.
Amen! Come! The Spirit and the bride say ‘Come!’ Even so, come Lord Jesus!